Thursday, January 10, 2013

10/365 ADAD

10/365 ADAD by Zanalee
10/365 ADAD, a photo by Zanalee on Flickr.

A 365 photo challenge if anything, even if it's of a stone every day in a different location every day for a year is always, well... a challenge.

For me, the photos I take represent for more than what is recorded within the designated frame space. I look at a photo I've taken and I can remember details about what kind of day it was, how I was feeling, what I was attempting in the shot as opposed to how it actually turned out, or if anything significant, wonderful or bad happened that day. For me, all photos are a kind of map of things which one cannot see, which are sometimes suggested and expressed and sometimes consciously or unconsciously omitted.

The last time I attempted a Blythe 365 was almost a year ago with Reya. It was a bit of a disaster as the idea of photographing her everyday for a year brought up some unexpected unforeseen anxiety issues in me. I mean on bad days the idea that you have to take a photo of something that normally makes you happy can be really daunting. For me it also feels like an assignment and I instinctively recoil at the idea of something I love turning into anything that resembles a job. So that, among other things discontinued my first attempt at a 365 challenge. I was disappointed in myself but I felt I couldn't go on.

This new year of 2013, I have decided to attempt a 365 challenge again. Without much fanfare I decided to do ADAD or "A Doll a Day" 365 because at least I get to switch up a variety of dolls, of which I have no shortage, to photograph each day.
In this way I at least avoid a measure of boredom. The only thing I cannot avoid is well... life and things that John Lennon said happen when you're making other plans. But that's what makes it all interesting right? It is a challenge and I think I'm up to it.

When I look at a photo like the one above, I understand that it not only illustrates the theme of the 365 challenge, but also the random, unexplainable insanity that occurs weekly at my place of employment among many other things, that I prefer to keep to myself. That's what I will remember when I look at it.

it's day 10. 355 days to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment