So I took a leap a week ago and ordered some yummy rainbow chevron fabric from etsy which arrived a few days ago, all fresh and sweetly wrapped like a piece of candy from Riley Blake.
The only way I can approach projects that I am largely intimidated of is by not taking myself too seriously and not worrying about being perfect I started with the very simple pattern for an A-line Blythe dress from Pucchi Collective. I've been studying that thing on and off for months, maybe even a year. Now I was ready to dive in.
I just really needed to understand the pattern before I could start. It's a simple pattern yes, but so much of it for me is a leap of faith in actual execution. But it's making sense to me finally.
The first one I made yesterday and put it on Hamsa to model. I had to hand sew it because my cute but crappy little yellow sewing machine from Urban Outfitters has been mysteriously malfunctioning.
The second one I made last night, is modeled by Hendrix. I like the silhouette much better on that one. It flares out just a bit and is not so straight up and down. This is what I wanted. Fortunately I had gotten the machine to work a little by then.
I think one of the greatest challenges for me has been figuring out how to get the sleeves just right. Those little tabs you have to turn in don't really stay down very well. Also there's not really a good explanation on what to do to close up the back either but I think I can manage to improvise there. I'm just going to pace myself and learn slowly. Making stuff is just therapeutic to me and when I become obsessed with something I end up learning a lot, particularly where Blythe is concerned. She gives and gives.
: )
Thursday, June 13, 2013
Chervron Happy
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Wow, starting in patterns is hard, but I think you have done beautifully and you are so right, dolls do give and give - Yours look Wonderful!
ReplyDeleteThank you twiggy!
Delete