Sunday, May 24, 2009

Project Black Blythe


I have been getting so much helpful mail from Blythe collectors in my flickr correspondence that it’s really made me feel like part of a little community. It usually happens while I’m browsing through flickrverse adding favorites and leaving comments as I go. Someone will check out my pics, add faves and essentially do the same and then add me as a contact so that they can see any new pics I upload in the future on their home page. This is how I came to correspond with Amanda Ruth, a young lady (also an etsy seller) who is in the process of knitting a cute green dress for Emily. It was a dress I saw posted on her flickr set and I as soon as I saw that she had an etsy shop I had to ask her if she could make me that dress.

I’m still trying to figure out a way to get plasticfashion (Laura is her name) to make me a pair of her Blythe jeans. She has a shop on Etsy and Artfire but there is nothing on either of them. That really irritates me especially given how prolific she is. Her Blythe clothes are incredibly detailed and well made and when I saw the jeans I nearly passed out. My mom was a professional seamstress back in the day and we always had at least two sewing machines in the house so I know how hard it is to make clothes for people. I never cared for it myself. I’m more into design. I can only imagine how difficult it must be making accurate measurements for a doll dress.

My latest correspondence is from Jewels Blueberry who just finished customizing a black Blythe, something I am determined to do in the next few months or so. I commented on how nice her doll looked and mentioned my plans as well as a looming lack of confidence about it since I have never done anything like this. She sent me a message in flickr mail right away: a set of clear, detailed and simple instructions on how to make a black Blythe and assurance that it really is pretty simple. It filled me with encouragement and at now I east feel like maybe this is something I can successfully do. I think it will be an interesting and socially informative undertaking, you know? Will a can of spray paint be the only thing to make a Blythe doll black? Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment