Okay, so Mango Bowie is pretty much done. I finally got the guts to just whip out the MSC spray and coat her with a couple of light sprays to seal in the pastel make up and freckles I put on. I still have to put some gloss on her lips which I'm thinking about darkening a little bit.
The problem for me with customizing and color palette is that I can't have too many choices. If I don't have a clear idea of what I want the doll to look like on the outset I try too many things! I knew with Bowie, I wanted to stay in the citrus color spectrum though, which is why I got rid of the purple I ha under her eyes previously and went back to the orange color. The top lids are a mixture of lime green and lemon yellow pastels blended together. The freckles I did with a brown acrylic paint and a the tip of a very fine brush.
I have to say I like it but I want to try something a bit more dramatic for my next custom.
Next in line or Melly Kays girl who was shipped to me for an AA spray and Tangee who's annoying CCE body, I've decided to keep and spray as well. I have an idea for pale eye lashes on her as well. Not sure I'm putting lashes on Bowie since I really like her wide-eyed look especially after gaze correction.
OK! Gaze correction! You take your RBLs head apart which is easy as pie. They come apart in three pieces, face plate, back plate and dome. There is a bar that rests at the back of the eye mechanism and is held in with a small screw. it's white and usually called a t-bar. Each time you pull the string and the dolls' eyes change color, you hear a small click. That is the sound of the small ridges in the bar on the eye mechanism resting against the t-bar each time the string is pulled. It also controls the level of the gaze. If the t-bar is filed down a bit the gaze is lifted, which changes the expression and liveliness of the Blythe Doll in interesting ways.
I imagine that experimentation should be done in increments just to be sure you can examine subtle changes before deciding on more extreme ones. But in the event that you make the bar too short for your desired effect, you can always get a new one!
: )

Can I ask what kind of pastels you use? Mine never look that good (I might have cheapie ones) She looks great! Thanks.
ReplyDeleteHi Anne! I found the set of pastels I use at my local Michaels Arts and Crafts store. It's called Artists Loft Fundamentals. It came with 36 soft pastels. To be honest, I always think that mine don't come out that great either. I try to blend as many layers as possible for as concentrated a shade as I can get.
ReplyDeleteOK that's funny I have the same ones! Maybe I need to just do more layers. Thanks for getting back to me :)
ReplyDeleteNo problem! Yeah, you gotta kinda apply, blend apply, blend...
ReplyDelete: )