Tuesday, December 20, 2011
The Yarn Company
I visited the Yarn Company yesterday after work because I was desperate for some new yarn at a place that wasn't too far from midtown. The Yarn Company is located in 82nd and Broadway. I've passed it tons of times but this is the first time I've ever been inside. It is lovely, very warm with wood floors and tables and I believe a larger space in the back where they hold classes. The two women who were working there yesterday evening were very nice and really helpful. The yarn is on the pricey side but it's great quality and just lovely to look at.
I picked out two skeins of a brushed suri one in a powder blue and the other in plum. All you wanna do is just squeeze this stuff and hold it your face. It is insanely soft! I just love it. The yarn is spun very thin and I thought I would trouble crocheting with it but worked really well and I was just very careful to unravel it bit by bit as I worked. It looks just like cotton candy and I think that the combed mohair kept it from slipping off my hook too often. I made another puff stitch hat with the some of the blue skein last night. I haven't timed myself but I can whip one up in less than an hour for sure. It's just so much fun to see how each hat turns out using these different textures. Working with the suri last night I can see how almost anything that can be turned into string or rope or yarn can be be knit of crocheted, because the brushed suri seems so much like some kind of hair and I guess that's what a lot of yarn is, just hair, cotton, fiber of some kind spun into string, thread or yarn. That's just fascinating to me!
So anyway, I'll be making a few more of these hats for Blythe Warmers and maybe thinking about embellishing them a little bit as well. I'm kind of addicted right now an not really thinking about how much this is costing me. LOL! At some point I will need to slow down. I do want a couple more skeins of this brushes suri though to makes hats for a couple of people, maybe even myself!
Labels:
blythe doll clothes,
Brushed Suri,
crochet,
Knitting,
The Yarn Company,
yarn
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment