Reya was drawn to the kitchen last night by the smell of plantains being cooked by my fiancee. Plantains have become our latest cooking craze. The last one was kale with fennel. We just like cooking easy, yummy things.
It's taken some time but I think Fran is starting to warm up to Reya. Initially all the Blythe dolls in general creeped him out. My plan, though is to get him involved in an extensive shooting project so that he might unconscionably broaden his perspective a bit.
To me, Blythe is to the mainstream what Bjork is to America. American mainstream doesn't have a very good sense of irony or thinking outside the box for that matter. It's why they've never really been able to appreciate jazz the way Europe did.
When I first heard Bjork, I thought she sounded like a dying cow because I was listening to her with Whitney Houston ears which you simple cannot do. Bjork comes from another planet but she uses our language to allow us into her world and show that she's not really that strange at all. That's what artists do.
When I first met Blythe, it was in the London Design Museum. I happened upon Gina Garan's "This is Blythe" in the Museum gift shop and while my mind was like "What the heck is this?" I was jumping up and down inside, because I was experiencing something so outside the realm of anything my "Barbie" conditioning could capture. That doesn't happen often but I love it when it does.
I don't believe you can create anything important inside a vacuum. And I don't believe you can't create anything important if you insist on remaining always within your comfort zone. You have to go out and get shaken up a bit or shake yourself up if you can.
...wow, that was a bit too deep for a Blythe blog. I promise, next time I'll talk about ordering more clothes and maybe a couch? It could happen.
: )

No comments:
Post a Comment