Friday, February 18, 2011

Barbie Rubber Dress Series

Trxie and Zaltana model my latest creations

So thanks to Mieke Linden's fabulous balloon dresses I was inspired to do some experimenting of my own with gold and silver balloons I bought at Party City this weekend! They're nowhere near as finished and tailored looking as Mieke's but I do love the way they came out and I'm having lots of fun working with them. I'd say I used no more than three balloons each on Trixie and Zaltana's dresses shown above so they're not so layered and draped as they could be. I love how sexy they are and how easily they seem to pass for a different kind of material. I hope to do more this weekend. Obviously they're not re-wearable and are good only for the length of a photo shoot but that keeps things pretty interesting because I don't have otption really to do the same eaxact dress twice. Let's see where it goes.

2 comments:

  1. Oh wow, those look awesome!

    You should make more & sell them on Etsy or something. I would totally be interested in something like that. Especially if they were Katy Perry-esque.

    Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh thank you! Would that they could only be recreated and sold. I think that because of the material it would be hard to do a dress like this that would have any lasting functional purpose beyond taking the a few photographs. The stretching properties would make it a challenge to recreate any one look more than once and I'm rather certain the shelf life is not very long. It's pretty much a one time use thing.
    : )

    ReplyDelete