Wednesday, June 8, 2011

MSC Virgin No More!


Horror stories of custom Black Blythes turned white after spraying the MSC (Mr.Supper Clear) hobby spray and sealant made me avoid even the thought of using it on any of my girls. But after Erica Duh, who does amazing Blythe customs recommended it at a Blythe meet especially for working up layers of color on eyelids, I had to seriously rethink  it. I bought my first can of MSC Flat several months ago in ebay. I'm just discovering you can get it on Amazon as well. I figured I would experiment on one of my white Blythes first because what could go wrong right? She's already white. Plus if she got too pale I could always sand it off which I absolutely cannot do with a Black Blythe which has been painted first. Anyway, Bowie was my guinea pig for the first MSC spray and she came out great. I just did a few light sprays and wallah!

So but this week I decided somewhat riskily that If I am going to put Castaneda on the market, I better seal her face and back plate and just make sure she's in the best condition possible. That's one of my anxieties about selling a doll, which by the way I have never done. I see a tiny scratch or an imperfection anywhere and I think, "Well I can't sell her. She's not perfect." I'm gonna have to get over that. One of a kind means imperfect. But anyway, I sprayed Castaneda and she's fine, a little more matte looking than before which gives her face a marvelously wieghty look as if she was made of ebony porcelain. I just love her. I glued her scalp down last night and will let her sit for another night just to be safe. Don't ask me how I finally fixed her t-bar and eye mech. It was a labor of love. It's still a bit tricky and her pull string, which I've replaced with ribbon has to pulled more out than down in order to get her eye chips to switch down. I intend to mention that in her description when I sell her, if-I sell-her...which I intend to! .....mostly. LOL!

2 comments:

  1. She looks great! I'm sure that you are being super-picky and hard on yourself. Besides, even the factory fresh Blythes seem to have flaws these days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! You make a very good point!
    : )

    ReplyDelete