
I looked up Blythe in the dictionary this morning. I hadn’t realized the spelling with a Y doesn’t actually exist in the dictionary. Blythe is a clever alternate spelling of the word Blithe but I imagine with the same meaning intended. I am noticing though that spell check on Word is not redlining the word Blythe at all so maybe it is in a dictionary somewhere but I when I look it up no results are found. Hm.
• Main Entry: blithe
• Pronunciation: \blīth, blīth\
• Function: adjective
• Inflected Form(s): blith•er; blith•est
• Etymology: Middle English, from Old English blīthe; akin to Old High German blīdi joyous
• Date: before 12th century
1 : of a happy lighthearted character or disposition
2 : lacking due thought or consideration : casual, heedless
synonyms see merry
— blithe•ly adverb
I don’t know, for me the definition of Blythe is not really what I think of when I think of Blythe dolls. Perhaps this is what was intended by the Kenner manufacturers; a joyful lighthearted play friend for little girls but that could be more easily accomplished by Barbie.
What does sound more like Blythe to me is just that, the sound of the word Blythe and what it brings to mind when I say it. It sounds more like aloof, complacent, gossamer and cool, which seems to me to be truer of Blythe’s whole demeanor. She’s a bit scary, a bit sensual, a bit childlike but for the most part always sort of cool, cute and disinterested.
No comments:
Post a Comment