Thursday, October 14, 2010

What I Love About Dolls #1

In a day that is filled with banal, tedious, miserable, "adult" details, a doll can provide the most absurdly joyful form of escapes. Because it's so off the charts unexpected in the mainstream for grown women to derive such pleasure from toys, it's a given in my book that it produces such creativity, fun, craftiness and just a journey into a vast and layered inner world, a world whose access I don't believe is limited to anyone based on age. But then I've never really been much of a grown up. Pretending yes. Being, I don't know. My truest self has not changed so much since I was eight and it is that self that is re-awakened by play and the things that now produces in me as an adult, the questions it brings up for me as a woman of color and as an artist. These are the things that inspire me in the doll play/photography and crafts of other women in this world.

On that note, I need to talk a little about BlytheCon 2011. I have preregistered although I still have to mail in my signed waiver to Kylie. I know it's a long ways off but I'm getting a little concerned about flight and hotel prices. Once I realized (I'm not all that smart about how far places in America are from NYC) that Portland. Oregon was not going to be a train ride away, I suddenly realized how much cash would need to be shelled out for this one day before I  even bought anything!. And I'm starting to wonder if it's really in by best interest financially. I am not rich. Ha!
I am very excited though to meet many of the wonderful people in the Blythe Doll community that I have only chatted with on flickr every week and of course super excited to get some amazing clothes and prizes and take thousands of pictures maybe even conduct an interview or two! Oh, I just know it's going to be amazing! But I'm also a little nervous.And how long should I stay in Oregon if I go? A coworker and good friend of mine says it's a really interesting town. What does that mean? Perhaps I should do some research. Oh, I'm such freaking New Yorker.

Well, I have plenty of time to think and save and think some more. I think I already know who's coming with me if I do go. Angora, Neige, Reya and Hamsa. You didn't think I meant people did you? LOL!!

3 comments:

  1. "In a day that is filled with banal, tedious, miserable, "adult" details, a doll can provide the most absurdly joyful form of escapes."

    Beautifully put!

    Good for you for going to BlytheCon, I'm sure you will remember the experience for years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love that first line and the sentiment of that first paragraph too! so true :D

    and re: blythecon, it's not in my best interest financially either haha. but i think i am going to start saving now and hopefully my commissions will help. i'd love to meet you there though. we'll see what happens :D

    oh and i don't know if you saw this: http://www.flickr.com/photos/lessapathymorecake/5063751362/

    but i would really love it if you would customize a black blythe for me next year sometime when i have the cash. would you consider it? i just love your little girls!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww Mel! I would be honored! I have never done a custom for anyone before but I think I wouldn't mind giving it a try for you.

    Re: Blythcon 2011. Like you I am going to start saving my pennies now. I would love to meet you as well. It's just so hard to conceive with my finances that I would actually be spending several hundred on a ticket not to mention the money I'll want to spend on Blythe stuff at the convention. Lord help me! Overwhelmed already!
    LOL!!

    ReplyDelete