Taken by Esmereldes
Last weekends Blythe Meet was at the Arte Cafe a lower level restaurant on 173rd street between Columbus and Amsterdam. Mellisa got us tables in a large wonderfully lit room all the way in the back where we could see through adjacent glass doors into the garden that was next to us. I'm always curious about what the waitstaff thinks when over twenty women of varying ages arrive at a restaurant with God knows how many big headed big eyed dolls.But that was just a thought that flitted in and out of my mind because I became way too preoccupied with those beauties myself.
I got there at 1:30 on the dot perhaps earlier actually but I was drawn into Urban Outfitters for about five minutes or so before I walked up to Arte. I can't be on 72nd without going in there. It's hopeless. Getting to the meet early was great because I got to sit down, lay out my dolls (Reya, Neige, Molly and Hamsa) and see people as they arrived which was wonderful. Mellisa was already there of course with all her amazing dollies. Erica showed up about half an hour later with her daughter Angelica who I've seen in so many of her pictures and looks just as sweet in person. Linda, or Hollychan was there with her daughter as well. I had been conversing with her over flickr mail and she had expressed so much excitement at the prospect of seeing Reya and Neige that I couldn't wait to meet her myself. Hollychan makes these wonderful kimonos for Blythe and her Factory Blythe, Holly was just amazing. Those factory prototypes have really been some of the most beautiful Blythe I've seen on flickr lately.
Holly
Simone
Hollychan and her daughter sat to to my left while Esmereldes sat to my right with her very first Blythe Doll, Simone who is a Simply Guava Blythe chilling out in front of her. She collects Pullip dolls but I think the Blythe craze may be catching on for her. It was great talking with her as well about how she got started with this. It was a bit laid back for a bit but that didn't last very long as woman started pouring in with their dolls in tow. We had to have the waiter pull out another long table!Ellie
Philosophia (flickr handle) was sitting across from me just a space or two to my right and her friends' doll, Ellie just blew me away. I took about ten pictures of her! My four dolls got a lot of play and pics taken by Hollychan and I think, overall they got to mingle a lot more than last time.
Like the first meet I quickly became overwhelmed with all the eye candy and had to get up with my camera just to see what I was missing on the other ends of the table. I know I missed seeing a ton of dolls, especially after the food came and everyone sat still to eat. I for one was starving and wasn't moving anywhere until I was done. I loved seeing all the dolls crowded together to make room for plates of waffles and omelets and drinks and such. It's just so funny! And I mean, really, that's one of the many things I love about Blythe is how funny she is; funny, ironic, improbable. And seeing all these dolls, so many of them skillfully customized and altered, was like seeing so many other unknown personalities projected onto their figures.
We didn't get a chance to go to Central Park I don't think. I left before everyone else had cleared out. But the nice weather had held up us until after three when it started drizzling. I really enjoyed it though. I'm looking forward to the next one. Hopefully, we make it to the park next time.
Hamsa, Neige and Jewels, one of Erica's Blythes
I think that someone should arrange a Blythe customizing workshop for the next meet. I really do. I think it would be great fun! I need to see what I can do about making that happen.: )
Check out the rest of my pictures of my second NYC Blythe Meet here!
No comments:
Post a Comment