
I went out early this Sunday morning to take pics of Molly in Marcus Garvey Park. I still feel weird about it. I go to really remote places so that no one will see and so early, barely anyone is ever up. I'm more comfortable when I get into it because then it's just like photographing anything which I do all the time but I'm always super conscious of sounds of footsteps or low voices. The other thing is that that early in the morning, the sun is often way too hard and washes out a lot of detail in your subject. Great natural light is the kind we're all familiar with. It allows you to not only see marvelous detail but it also creates a mood and an emotion. I think I'll need to do like an afternoon in Central Park with Emily and Molly. There are just so many places to shoot there and perhaps, since it's not in my own neighborhood, I may not feel as self conscious about it.
As I mentioned recently, I got some really great responses from people to my "Blythe Photography in Public" discussion post in the flickr group "BLYTHE BLYTHE BLYTHE." I discovered there were more this morning. Below is another one I really appreciate.
momoko_girl_1 Pro User says:
Zanalee, I have been taking my dolls out for pics for years now. My suggestion is that you just do it! At first, you will feel self conscious, but it gets easier and easier each time you take them out. You will be surprised by people's reactions. Some will snicker, some will embarrassed for you, some will be curious and ask if you work for a magazine or why are you doing this. Some will offer to hold the doll for you to take a picture of you and the doll and some will ask what kind of doll is she. Some people will think she's pretty, some people will think that it's cool! Most of all what you will find is that most people are actually very nice and curious about what you are doing.
But, the reason why I tell you to "just do it"? You will open up your world of photo taking, you will become enthused about taking her to different locations, you will put a smile on your own face!
As for being nuts, I don't think anyone can explain what it is that makes Blythe such a fascination for us. But then, why do we feel the need to find an explanation? The fact is, we love a doll with a big head and changing eyes. She is our muse, she is a source of happiness and fills a need for each of us. I say, "embrace that" and don't ever be shy about it! After all, many adults continue to play basketball or baseball (activities associated with children), many still read comic books, many collect miniature cars, many still roller blade, and some even dress up as cowboys and go to the range the 3rd Saturday of every month to join others in cowboy action shooting (my husband and sometimes me). So, you see there are many people other than us enjoying things that are associated with childhood. I would be willing to bet that people who have hobbies, indulge in them, and enjoy them are happier people than those who have no hobbies at all.
I hope to see some of your "public place" pics of Blythe soon! :0)
Maggie
No comments:
Post a Comment