Monday, June 7, 2010

Licca Brown!!!!

It worked!!  I could kind of tell just from the smoothness of the original unpainted texture that it might take the paint successfully. What I have noticed so far, is that of the legs of the body are already sticky, such as the Takaras normally are, chances are the spray finish is going to be sticky as well. I guess it also helps that I sanded this one as much as I could to prep it. I also washed  it with soap and water and let it dry first as instructed by Jaszmades site.  So I'm a little hopeful now, that second Licca body may work out as well although the legs on that one are more of a velvety smooth texture. I noticed that one of them says China on the back and the other says Japan. Perhaps the manufacturing is different because of this. The other one is a whiter body. The one above was more pinkish.

 Originally, I wanted this body to go to Angora Lee, the Black Blythe with the gold lids and mohair re-root that I plan on selling but there are a few little flaws in the body you can't see from this picture; lightness in the upper right shoulder, a small nick in the lower torso, nothing really noticeable and nothing I can't touch up but I don't know, I might feel weird putting it on the market. I may give this one to Neige whose Takara body is just a wreck. I'll have to see how the second Licca body custom goes this weekend. The re-root is coming along by the way. But the closer I get to finishing, the slower I seem to be moving. I'm trying to stretch the mohair I have left by using smaller sets of plugs which seems to be working. I also feel like I'm really getting a feel for the rhythm of the way a scalp re-root is supposed  to be done. 

I have suffered some minor damage doing this, but damage nonetheless. In the beginning, I was stabbing the heck out of my left index finger with the crotchet needle whenever I would pass it through the inside of each hole to pick up a hair plug. I was literally gouging out a crater in my finger for a few weeks. And the index finger on my right hand suffered burns from dragging the needle on it while pushing the head through the holes on the inside of the scalp. Now though, I've developed a nice and easy system where I can find the holes and push through slowly without piercing my finger every time and still keep up a nice flowing pace. At this point, I've probably built up protective callouses anyway. LOL!!  I cannot wait for it to be over. I just wanna see how it will look already! It's so much hair!

3 comments:

  1. i've heard that licca and adg bodies take paint better. good know if i ever spray paint a girl :) the body looks fabulous! nice and smooth :)

    how in the world do you do it with the crochet hook!? I tried and the hair would either not stay on the hook or all of it wouldn't pass through the hole. I gave up and used a large tapestry needle instead. I'd love to use the crochet hook but I think I'm doing something wrong...i may try again since i have no other use for a crochet hook right now lol.

    you reroot looks great so far!! love the color :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The body looks great! Nice natural looking colour too.

    Your reroot looks amazing - that mohair is so shiny and luscious. I couldn't do it with the hook either - same issue as Melly Kay. I used a doll needle and pulled it through with a little pair of beading pliers. It was easier on my hands but I didn't ever feel that I found any kind of rhythm in that method. Looking forward to seeing this girl finished :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww man! I am so sorry to be reading these comments so late. for some reason, I don't get notifications of my comments. I really have to fix that. The deal with the mohair is really hard to explain. I didn't find a rhythm for a while either. I think some of the key things are tension and using tiny plugs of hair which you should always wet to keep them from fraying when you pull them through the scalp holes. That's what worked for me. And also try to pull the plugs tight inside the hook as you pull it through but once it gets half way through, pull it through fast so that it comes through the loop of the previous plug on the other side.

    Believe me, it took me forever to find a rhythm. In the mean time I was poking and gouging and burning the heck out of my fingers.

    ReplyDelete