Sunday, August 1, 2010

Angora's Mohair Scalp


Last night I put on a bootleg series CD of Bob Dylan and finished re-rooting Angora Lee’s scalp. The 1/4 ounce of “brown sugar” mohair I ordered last week came in Saturday. It’s a bit lighter than the “Wild Spirit” hair she has but it really isn’t a big deal at this point. It really is just the rim of her scalp near the front. The length of wefts were also much shorter than the “Wild Spirit” but I expected that. This mohair wasn’t really meant for Blythes but I didn’t want to buy too much more hair when I wouldn’t be using all of it and Mohairhouse didn’t have small amounts on sale in the length I would have liked.

At first it wasn’t going that well. I couldn’t figure out why until I looked at the other end and realized I had picked up on the wrong side and my neat little loop hook was staring at me like an idiot. Once I took my crotchet hook out and switched to that side, the rest of the re-root went smoothly, hook, through loop through loop. I’m really interested in trying this new  “knot” method for mohair re-roots I’ve been hearing about and seen one tutorial about on flickr. It sounds easy and a lot faster perhaps that the lock and loop method.  As far as I understand, you still separate out the hair in strips and pulls them through the scalp holes, but instead of connecting them inside the scalp, you ties a knot inside so that it stays and repeat.

As for Angora, I glued her mohair scalp down on her dome last night with some craft tacky glue. I really was not careful about keeping the flanges in tact when I took her scalp off so I’m not sure the scalp will connect completely all around the dome. We’ll see. I’m a bit anxious but I’m not taking the bands off until tomorrow. I want to make sure, it’s good and secure. I did this with Reya’s scalp as well which was really shoddily done. I mean her hair looks nice on the outside but the inside is a mess. But her scalp has been on and stayed on perfectly for the last year or so. I can’t wait to see Angora whole. It’s been months!

No comments:

Post a Comment