Tuesday, September 7, 2010

My Bedroom Has Become my Studio


I woke up early Monday morning while my fiancee was still asleep and went into my bedroom to continue re-rooting Emily's scalp with the thermal changing orange saran I got from restoredoll.com. And it's taken me some time to realize it but my tiny bedroom is my studio. My fiancee and I sleep in a futon in the livingroom. He stays with me in my apartment during the week so technically we live together but it's really my apartment that I share with him.

My bedroom is kind of like the only room to go to for privacy. Inside there is a huge television I rarely ever use which sits on an Ikea chest of drawers. There is a tower of used journals, books and a Blythe stand on top of the television. I have a hope chest at the foot or head (depending on how I sleep) of my wooden captain's bed with more clothes spilling out of it and a stack of books and shoe boxes nearby but then it kind of gets taken over by my eight Blythes, two Barbies, a Domo Domo Kun Doll, my shark hand puppet, two shoe boxes full of doll clothes, one filled with accessories, a toolbox, bottles of acrylics, pastels, and a bag of spray paint and hair and customizing tools. Presently I still have that Blybe doll from the Netherlands sitting in parts in it's box waiting to be turned into, I'm not yet sure what. It's my studio/bedroom is what it's become. And I go in there there to continue projects, to start projects, to style the dolls for photo shoots or just to listen to music and upload pics to flickr on my laptop like I did yesterday after I'd gotten tired of re-rooting. I wish I had more time to do stuff like that. This weekend the weather was incredible, ideal actually. The light was lovely. There was no humidity.

I took a trip to Knitty City this Saturday because I can feel my knitting bug coming on whenever it starts to get the slightest bit chilly. I bought one skein of yarn and a ball of small scale yarn because I'm toying with the idea of making something for the dolls. I had to buy a pair of thin knitting needles for this. I'm sure I could have gotten everything cheaper at Michaels but I really missed the ambiance of Knitty City. It's just one of those cute lower level yarn shops that's crammed with yarn and has a knitting circle towards the back. Someone's always sitting behind a wooden loom behind the counter spinning yarn by hand. I just really like that. I will be visiting Michaels again soon though since I can't afford Knitty City regularly on my salary. Knitting calms me and I've been pretty stressed out lately. I find that focusing on making something with my hands always puts me in a better space when my mind is mucked up. I really desperately want to learn how to crotchet and knit in the round so I can start make something more than just scarves. I think I'll start focusing on that for the Fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment